First Nations and Indigenous organizations
Aboriginal Firefighters Association of Canada (AFAC) Brand, Marketing Materials, and Web
The Aboriginal Firefighters Association of Canada (AFAC) operates as a consortium of regional Indigenous emergency and fire service. They are currently leading a project focused on improving fire safety in all Indigenous communities across Canada to protect and enhance quality of life, health, and safety.
AFA had a website that didn’t accurately explain their focus and programming. It was difficult to navigate and manage. The dual-language toggle on the site limited the user to choosing French or English at an initial landing page. AFA also had a separate website for its key program, the Indigenous Fire Marshal Office, that also had problematic structure and design. The separate sites were unnecessarily splitting their audience and causing confusion around the actual organization and program structures.
AFA and IFMO also needed a brand refresh to better align with their goals that focus greatly on fire safety and downplay firefighting. Their newsletters and information packages were disjointed and needed to be brought in line with a new brand direction.
- Comprehensive digital strategy that included SEO research, content strategy, and site mapping to bring the two sites into one and establish the best approach for future development
- Implementation of a robust language toggle allowing users to switch languages on any page
- Responsive design and fast load speed to serve communities with limited internet and cell service
- Brand standard manual and execution across all mediums
A reliable single site that is easy to manage. SEO for the site has improved dramatically since launch, showing better reach and engagement with the site. The brand has been implemented on several print pieces and used across Canada at conferences and meetings.
The new site launch has given the IFMO/AFAC site a new position for 25 key search terms (we started with 0, and it’s growing every week). The new ranked keywords increased monthly search impressions by 816%.
There has been a 1943% (20x) increase in organic search traffic since the new site launched, a change from fewer than a dozen visitors a month to over 300.
- Communications planning
- Social media strategy and management
- Production of all content in English/French
- Quarterly newsletter writing, design, production, distribution
- Graphic design for print and web
- Media relations and monitoring
- Management of information updates
- Communications support to IFMO project team
- Reporting on activities and communications
“My organization was looking for a communications partner for the Aboriginal Firefighters Association of Canada Indigenous Fire Marshal Office Project. The project needed a bi-lingual website, as well as print and digital communications with an updated design theme that better reflected our aspirations.
Spryberry helped us define what existing content was superfluous and what we should keep and created consistent language across all mediums. We also asked Spryberry to create brand standards that retained our crests as the centre element. They created brochures, flyers, and designed a beautiful, easy to navigate website that is visually appealing but low-bandwidth friendly.
Spryberry is an amazingly responsive team! They were really good at asking us the right questions and quickly ‘got’ us. We’re delighted with the finished products and we are getting great feedback from our members and beyond. We’ve already recommended Spryberry to others and will continue to do so.”